Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Power-less

I'm rockin' right along with a normal day, peekin' out the windows for critters, checkin' emails, makin' beds... (That's a "have to" with me.  If I make the bed the whole room seems to be clean - even tho' it isn't :-()

Suddenly I realize that there is dead silence in the house - no refrigerator hum, no ceiling fan lazily drawing warm air down from the ceiling, nothing.  I verify that there are no LED lights on the myriad of electronic equipment we have covering the surfaces of every room (chargers, printers, MyFy, laptop, tea-cup warmer...)

Yup.  The electricity is out.  It's a sunny day, but the chill will inevitably set in if the power doesn't come on pretty soon.

Well, would you looky there.  Two deer.  Right up beside the house.


I had put out more deer corn this morning - and watched FLOCKS of bluejay, a few cardinals, dove, and the occassional red-headed woodpecker come steal away the kernels.


Apparently there were some crumbs left, because the two small deer (I bet they're the spotted fawns we saw when we first came here) that hang around most often were working their way to that spot.  And they weren't even shy about it.

I caught him with his mouth open.

Just as John started to leave this morning there were these two AND a buck out here.  It was not quite bright dawn yet and both cameras refused to focus in the dim morning light - especially through windows and screens.  John tried to catch a photo as he stepped out the door before they high-tailed it, but the camera was still being contrary and he got sort of a blur.  If you study it, bite your lip, and squint, you can see the antlers.


ANYWAY... back to the loss of electricity.  After an hour the chill had seeped through my clothing.  I had sent John a text about the power outage, and updated him with the frost-bite (just kidding).  He reminded me that his fleece-lined hoodie was here, so I put it on over mine - and slipped his househoes on over mine.  (He's a size 14 shoe, and I'm a size 6.)  NOW things were gettin' toast-y!

During the power outage I snapped something like 45 photos.  Picture taking helped keep my mind off the Rudolph-nose I was getting.  I even took a picture of ME all bundled up - but that I'm not sharing with the universe. 

After two hours I was getting a bit hungry.  Trust me - nothing cold sounded good, and there was no way to heat it.  Now, if we were home in Texas where all of our tent-camping gear is, I would have had all kinds of options for cookin' up something yummy.  But alas, it's there, and I'm here.

I tried reading, but laying down all snuggled into coats and blankets made me want to drift off to sleep - or was that hypothermia setting in?  Nah.  It wasn't THAT cold! 

At just over two hours I hear humming.  Mmm-hmm.  That sweet hum of electricity!  Look out world, I'm headed for the microwave!


No comments: