Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Gift Returns

Nothing in life is simple...

Well, almost nothing.  Working with Amazon.com on returns is simple enough, and they refund the money before they even have the product back.  Can't beat that.  But getting the package on the road ain't so very simple.

I printed out the UPS locations which included hours of operation - which I didn't look at.  Bright and early Monday morning I'm following Lil' Miss GPS and find the main UPS location in Danville easily enough.  But it was closed Monday for the holiday.  No problem.  I'll go to one of those private shipping locations that accepts UPS shipments.  Re-program Lil' Miss, and I'm on my way. 

Oops.  I see the location before Lil' Miss and almost miss turning in.  (I never panic about that; I just go around the block.  That works everywhere I've been except California - specifically San Francisco and L.A. - because they don't believe in "blocks" being shape like squares or rectangles...  One could wander off and fall into the Pacific Ocean before finding ones way back to a destination!)

I turn in, find a parking space, park, radio off, (I always do that, so that whenever I re-start the engine I can hear if it is hummin' or knockin'), ignition off, seat back, seat belt off, sunglasses off, get purse, keys in purse, wrestle package around the steering wheel and out the door.  Whew!

Confidently walk to the door of the store - and it's locked.  Aargh!  Back to the car, get the print out, find the phone number, call the store.  I'm welcomed by that oh, so annoying, tone and recording stating, "The number you dialed is no longer a working number..." (In the first place, I haven't "dialed" a number in a long, long time, and in the second place I'm sitting in front of the store, and there is every evidence it is a functioning shipping location accepting UPS and Fed Ex and anything else one might want to ship.)  Aargh!

Deep breath.  Amazon is refunding the money within two days (so John can go ahead and order the camera he thinks he has decided he wants), and I have 30 days to get this puppy back to Amazon before they re-charge our account.  I'll go home and come back tomorrow.

It's tomorrow now.  It is raining cats and dogs.  Thirty-mile-an-hour winds.    Thirty-nine degrees, less wind-chill.  Nothing in life is simple...  I'm down for a cup of tea and a chocolate bar - for BREAKFAST!


No comments: