Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Menehune

The Menehune are Hawaiian Leprachauns.  (That's pronounced Ma-na-hoo-na.  There are only 16 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet,"e's" are pronounced like a long "a," "i's" are pronounced like a long "e," "a's" are pronounced "uh,"   I think I got that right...)  Considering all the rainbows on Kauai it goes to reason that there are Menehune here.  There is a place called the Fish Pond just above the port in Lihue.  The legend is that the Menehune came one night and dug out this small lake for the Hawaiian queen at the time.  It is the same place they filmed Indian Jones getting on a pontoon plane to get away from natives and finding himself in the cockpit with a snake. 



I mention all of this to let travelers know minor aspects of what they might get the opportunity to cope with.  John says he "can do ANYthing for four or five weeks."  Our shower did, however, get to be a challenge after the weeks became months - and then a year.  I finally taped a pretty little sign on the shower door:  "This shower was built by the Menehune, for the Menehune!"  Humor always smooths out the little frustrations of life.  If I know going in (literally) there is SOMETHING to smile about as I attempt to reach my feet and wash off the day's sand and surf, I'm more likely to not fuss about something we cannot change.

No comments: