Friday, September 9, 2011

iPhone Magic

Toward the end of last month, AT&T billed me $10 for another GB of data.  I'd never gone over 2 GB before, but who knows, maybe I did.
 
THIS month they billed me after only one week into the month.  NOT !!  So I've been on the phone with them most of this morning.  I discovered that day before yesterday at 9:11 a.m. my phone used 365,903 KB of data.  YIKES!  I wasn't even on the phone at that time; I was on the computer blogging using the high-speed cable internet connection that came with the lil' ol' farmhouse. 
 
After having the call with AT&T dropped twice and going through three other techs, I was told that iPhones (and Androids) have recently acquired a nasty habit of reaching out on their own and gobbling up data.  (do-dee-do-dee... Gives a whole new meaning to "ET phone home.")  In other words, my iPhone has acquired a personality!  And I'm having to pay for it! Well, I was.  The last person I spoke with credited last month's charge and put in a pending credit for this month.
 
So, the only "fix" available right now is to go to Settings, General, Network and turn Cellular Data "off."  If I want to send pics or surf the net or send/receive emails I have to go back in and turn it on.  What a pain.  It also explains why my battery life had suddenly dwindled to nothing.  I can go to wireless.att.com/support and/or support.apple.com to keep checking for permanent solutions.  There is also an app I can download, called app killer, that will automatically shut down an application I might have left inadvertantly running.  (I didn't "inadvertantly" do nuthin'!)
 
Ah, the joys of modern day living...  Do YOU have an iPhone?
 

1 comment:

Michelle G said...

So far I haven't had any issues with my data usage, but I will definitely keep an eye on it. If you have wireless available, you can set your iphone to use wireless instead of from your data plan.