Monday, October 31, 2011

Ver-ti-go-o-o-o !

Oh, my goodness!  Stop the world, I want to get OFF!  Spinning, and spinning, and spinning!  Holding onto the mattress so it doesn't throw me onto the floor!  Move my head even the slightest and nauseau follows.  Oh-h-h, man.  Dry heaves for a whole day.  Uughh.  I try walking across the room, and I end up on my hands and knees crawling so that I don't topple over and smack my head on the floor or the corner of a piece of furniture.  (Grab the minicam kids!  She's fallen and can't get up!)

As a child, throwing my hands out and twirling around the front yard a million times until I couldn't walk in a straight line was funny.  THIS is not funny.  This is ugly.

John had this once before, and he ended up in the emergency room.  We found out then that it was an inner ear problem.  Oh, yeah... we knew that, because John's mother has Meniere's Disease.  That's characterized by vertigo.  She had to have a nerve cut in one ear before they got the vertigo fully under control.  But John's vertigo was simply mega-allergies fouling up his inner ear and making him spin.

So when I started spinning out of control we thought it might be allergies, too.  I started immediately taking allergy medications.  That held the nausea at bay for about 24 hours. Finally, I called my doctor back in Texas, explained the problem and asked that he phone some super-duper prescription into our local Wal-Mart pharmacy.  Hours later his nurse called back saying one of the prescriptions I was already taking could be causing the problem:  Cymbalta.

You see, I have Sjogren's Disease.  Sounds terrible, doesn't it.  In fact, it's a form of arthritis.  It is an autoimmune disease that results in the abnormal production of extra antibodies in the blood that are directed against various tissues of the body.  It's characterized by dry mouth, dry lips, and dry eyes, fatigue, joint pain, difficulty swallowing.  Nothing incapacitating, but combined it can make you pretty miserable.  I had all of the above and went to a series of doctors before finally convincing my Primary that, by jingo, I'd been in this body over half a century (sounds good, doesn't it?  That just meant I was over 50.)  I'd been in this body over half a century, and I KNOW something is wrong.  I had just spent six weeks deployed to New Orleans and Port Arthur, Texas for disaster relief with the Southern Baptist of Texas Convention ministry.  Perhaps I had acquired some kind of bacteria that was the problem.  But SOMEONE needs to take me seriously.  He did.  He did blood tests for everything under the sun.  Finally he came up with two possibilities that explained the symptoms and sent me to a rheumatologist.  Overnight I ended up on six prescriptions and told to, for the dry eyes, see my ophthalmologist.  That resulted in a seventh prescription.

The Cymbalta is for the migrating joint and tissue pains throughout my body.  I had run out of my prescription and it took several days (well, actually, about two weeks) for me to get a refill.  Apparently, withdrawal from Cymbalta ain't pretty.  That's where the vertigo came from.  Once I got the prescription it took six days to get my equilibrium back.  Now I know that, if I ever want to get off the Cymbalta, I had better e-e-ease off of it.  I'm taking the lowest dosage (thank goodness), but even so I'll have to have a plan if I ever decide to ditch the Cymbalta.

So now you know where I've been for a week - flat on my back holding onto the mattress so as to not fall out of bed.  For the first four days all I had to eat was soda crackers, water and a little Pedialyte.  I wouldn't recommend it as a weight loss program.  And ALL of this time John has catered to me, cleaned house, done dishes, the whole kit 'n caboodle.  What a man!  Why!  I think I'll keep him another 25 years!

No comments: