Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Oh, no! Not again!

Yes, again!  Another whole day spent wrestling hardware and software and nerve-wear!  An hour on the cell phone trying to communicate verbally what the pea-pickin' problem was with the communication software that refused to communicate!  Communication my foot!  Aargh.

Seriously.  I started at 8 a.m. with the AT&T Mobile Hotspot MiFi gadget.  The good news is, it works in this tin roofed farmhouse.  (Well, it gets a strong signal anyway.)  The house came with high-speed internet that has been really, really nice.  But our thumb drive wireless connection was ready for an upgrade, and by upgrading we could downgrade the monthly cost by $25.  Mmmhmmm.  Better technology for a lower price.  That's always good.

But first you have to get the critter to work!  The instruction lists five easy steps.  They were easy; they just didn't seem to work.  I worked for two hours and realized I was gritting my teeth, so I took a deep cleansing breath and went for a walk.  After sneaking up on two deer and enjoying fresh air and falling leaves, I returned to the battle.

I went through the steps again before finally calling AT&T for help.  We did everything AGAIN -- TWICE!  The third time something clicked and ta-ta! it worked.  He confessed that he did something on his end and straightened out the problem.  (So, all along it was THEIR problem, not mine.)

At this point, WHO CARES!  It works.  Like a charm.

So, now to work on the bonus of making the Kodak printer connect wirelessly to the computer so I can finally un-tether.  Only four easy steps.  (I've heard that before...)  Use the menu on the printer itself to change from a USB connection to a Wi-Fi connection.  Couldn't be easier.  Only, again, it doesn't seem to work.  The printer definietly shows it's Wi-Fi light and it recognizes the AT&T Mi-Fi -- but not connection to the printer. 

John came home.  I fed him BBQ chicken and potato salad (yes, I managed to cook in the midst of my computer woes - gotta feed the man no matter what!)  During the meal I 'splained the troubles of the day, so afterward he sat down at the computer, read the manuals, went through the same steps I did.  By 10 p.m. I gave up and went to bed.  He came to bed shortly after, but still no wireless printing.  Only option left - call Kodak.

I did find out that Kodak has an iPhone app that will let you print photos wirelessly from the iPhone to a printer halfway around the world.  (Now, why do I think that is going to give me headaches, too, before I get it to actually print ??)



No comments: