Sunday, August 28, 2011

Now what?

So, we're back home in east Texas.  The whole family gathered to welcome us home.  It was like Christmas in August with and hugs and kisses and yummy food .  My dog, Junior, was angry with me and refused to come to me.  I can understand.  But there are grandkids and horses and donkeys and cats and other dogs and chickens to show some attention to and pretty quickly Junior gets jealous and decides he forgives me.

We wonder, and consider worrying, about another assignment, but I don't believe in borrowing trouble.  There's enough that will come around today without my worrying over tomorrow.  Besides, this is all in God's very capable, loving hands.  I unpack, stow away the luggage, and revel in our home.

We get home on Saturday, and Tuesday John gets a call from the recruiter that got us to Kauai.  Uh, you are NOT gonna believe this!  John's last day was Friday, and on Monday morning one of the techs at the hospital in Kauai quit - they want John back!!!  Are you kidding!?!  Say it ain't so!  I flew once for my husband - 10 hours there and now, just days ago, 10 hours back.  Say it ain't so!  My God, my God, you DO have SUCH a sense of humor!

Out come the suitcases, and we make calls to the family to say surprising good-byes.

We tell the recruiter that we'd really like a different place to stay so he gets on Craig's List and thinks he's found a perfect location.  I call our rent car guy at Island Cars to have a car waiting at the airport - he is SO nice! By Friday morning we are on our way to DFW.  I think John laughed at me all the way to Kauai.

Our new landlords were waiting in their driveway for us.  They had tiki torches lit and smiles on their faces bright as sunshine.  We are talking the absolute nicest young couple.  When John unfolded from the car to his full 6' 4" height, A.C.'s jaw dropped.  It's a good thing John didn't have on his cowboy boots and hat;  A.C. might have fainted.  Donna is full of laughter and a wonderful sense of humor.

They show us into the apartment by walking through the laundry room.  (Yea! no more going to the local open-air laundramat!)  There are orchids on the table, chocolates on the king-size bed, and an air conditioner built into the wall.  We have our own lanai (patio) and yard with a clothesline.  Fully furnished with bed sheets, towels, pots and pans...  Yup, the recruiter did really good this time!

I'm really bushed from the past seven days of flying, reunions, unpacking, packing, and flying again.  All I want is to crawl into bed.  I discover it is as perfect as everything else about the apartment - it even has a memory foam topper that just swallows my weary ol' bod.

John is supposed to be back at the hospital Monday morning, so that gives us time to stock the pantry and surprise everyone at our church home-away-from home.

No comments: