Thursday, August 18, 2011

Connecticut

It was a 2+ day drive to Connecticut from Texas.  Because it was our first placement we let the recruiter arrange our lodgings.  We bought a dashboard GPS before leaving and so, with the address from the recruiter, we drove right to the doorstep of the extended-stay hotel.  It was your typical hotel except that there was no swimming pool or exercise room and there was a coin operated laundry on site.  We had a stove-top but no oven or dishwasher.  Linens were provided just as in any hotel and maid service once a week.

We unloaded the car and programmed the GPS to take us to the hospital facility John would be working at.  Little did I know that John would have me driving him to work every morning and picking him up every afternoon.  He said it was so I could have the car during the day, but I think he liked the feeling of being chauffered around town!

My role was already evolving from tag-along wife to major business partner.  Ultimately all logistics became my job description.  John would go to work, do his cardiac echo thing, and come home.  We felt it wasn't fair to either John or the hospital facility for him to be on his cell phone working out details that they weren't paying him for.  Besides, I'm good at logistics!

So, John would work at the hospital all day, and I would work at finding "discovery" things for us to do.  It was late June, and I felt certain there would be fun 4th of July things.  The East is jam-packed with history, and we're both history buffs.  I would see to it that John's dream of travel/vacationing would come true even if it was only weekend trips. 

No comments: