Sunday, August 18, 2013

First Kingman Housing

We arrive in Kingman (not by camel though), and are surprised to discover that the lodgings I have contracted for are fifteen miles away from the hospital.  That's fifteen miles up the straightest, flattest, loneliest road you can imagine!  It's so straight that the law says you have to have your headlights on day and night to catch the attention of what other drivers might maybe be out there.  With that kind of traffic congestion you can guess that it's only 15 minutes to work, though, so all is good.


You can see in this almost-sunset photo that we are in a valley that is flatter than a flitter (as we say in Texas), but there are mountains all around us, literally 360 degrees all around us.

Our little community, Valle Vista, is on it's own golf course, has its own community swimming pool, tennis courts, and has some mighty fine homes in it - including ours.  Not to brag, because we are paying a pretty penny for this one, but it is beautifully decorated, too.  (I suppose the owner being an interior designer has something to do with that. :)  The community is right on the famous Route 66, which pleases Granpa greatly.

The front yards throughout the community are not lawns, they are beds of pebble with cactus of umpteen varieties growing out of them.  For the most part they are expertly landscaped.  I'm surprised that I like it so much; they are really pretty.  Our yard is a bit sparse on vegetation.


 This home is across the street - and for sale!



Rock-filled landscape wouldn't work in East Texas though, because in no time at all grass and weeds would be growing up through those pebbles.  Here in Kingman, the days are around 100 degrees, but the nights cool off to the upper 60's.  In Texas, you're lucky to get night time temperatures down to 80, and those pebbles would be radiating heat 'til the sun comes up - and then just get hotter.

Our back yard here IS grass and rose buses and a vine-covered patio that is so refreshing!  There's a large glass-top table and six chairs, and a breeze blows all the time.  It's like a combination of the best and the best.


I want the whole family to come visit because we have two extra bedrooms with king-size beds, a dining room table that seats six, a sectional sofa that seats - oh, my goodness, maybe a dozen if you're a close family!  And it is excellent seating, firm but soft, even holds my big backside up. The sectional ends in a chaise lounge that I have claimed as my own!  (Not really, as I spend most of my time at a table and chair next to the sofa doing my computer work - but occasionally I come out from behind the desk and hug up to Granpa on the sofa.  (Yes, grandparents do still hug up - that's another reason you have to marry the right man or woman from the get go...)  And the sunsets are beautiful!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the first photo... it is now my background on my work PC! :)