Monday, May 21, 2012

Kittens !

We're still waiting for an assignment.  That's always a dangerous thing.  I can only wait for so long around here without getting new animals.  So I did.

I went to pick up one of our grandsons, and on the way home (he just lives three miles away), he saw a bunch of kittens under a neighbor's pickup truck.  He was astonished when I pulled in and said, "Ask if they will let us have four."

What he didn't know was that my computer mouse pad has four kittens on it:

When he got out, the kittens scattered like wildfire;  I told him to just bring whatever he could catch.  The neighbor was delighted we were taking so many kittens off of their hands.  they had more adult cats that they needed; they surely didn't need a passel of kittens to go with them.  So she is out there with a bathrobe on and her hair wrapped up in a towel, her husband was supervising, and our grandson was crawling through, well, I won't say what he was crawling through... but eventually we had four kittens rounded up and in a little box:


They were skinny lil' things.  We could feel every bone in their bodies.  No worries.  I'm very good at fattening things up - unfortunately, including myself!  Granpa was not surprised when I walked in with a box full of kittens.  The vows say, "for better or worse, in sickness and in health, richer or poorer..."  He just didn't know that meant I'd be takin' in critters for better or worse, in sickness and in health, making HIM richer or poorer (depending on one's point of view.)  Fact is, Granpa likes babies - most especially baby kittens.

Our other grandson is now awake and ready to come over.  He had a bit of a mishap at the baseball field last night and ended up with three stitches in his arm just below the elbow.  It was swollen, and he was not his perky self.  I was sure the kittens would cheer him up.

Now go back and look at the mousepad picture.  What's missing? 

As we passed that same neighbor of theirs on our way back to our place, I pulled in, showed the kids the mousepad, and said we needed a white kitty, too, preferably with a hint of Siamese.  They took the mousepad to the door with them, showed them what the deal was, and she said, "SURE you can have a fifth kitty."  They proceeded to scoop up a Siamese-looking kitty, and things were picture perfect.

No comments: