Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Reader Comments About Our Christmas Wish

I heard from an old friend after he read the "Christmas Wish" posting.  He's a songwriter, and wrote and recorded a Country song last year about Christmas.  He said it wasn't a merry Christmas song.  You can listen to it and give both of us some feedback.  Click on the last song on the list.


I considered not sharing his song with you - didn't want to burst the ol' Christmas joy.  But then I realized that there are some of us that won't have that fairy tale ending to Christmas, and this just might help someone through those sad times.

There are verses in Chapter 3 of the Bible book, Ecclesiastes:

There is an appointed time for everything.  And there is a time for every event under heaven -- 
A time to give birth and a time to die; 
A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.
A time to kill and a time to heal;
A time to tear down and a time to build up.
A time to weep and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn and a time to dance.
A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.
A time to search and a time to give up as lost;
A time to keep and a time to throw away.
A time to tear apart and a time to sew together;
A time to be silent and a time to speak.
A time to love (people) and a time to hate (sin);
A time to war and a time for peace.

This is a pretty comprehensive list of compare-and-contrast good times versus bad times.  I believe the Bible is the inspired, inerrant Word of God, that He is omnipotent and omnipresent. Therefore, I believe that God knows our needs in our good times and our bad, before, during, and after they happen.  

Sometimes people are with you, but ALWAYS God is there.  It is your choice to acknowledge Him or to ignore Him, but He IS there.  The best way I have ever found to communicate to people that, in times of trouble for sure, they are not alone, is through the reading of this poem:

Footprints in the Sand

        One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
             Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
                  In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
                       Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
                           other times there were one set of footprints.
                                  This bothered me because I noticed
                                that during the low periods of my life,
                             when I was suffering from
                         anguish, sorrow or defeat,
                     I could see only one set of footprints.
          So I said to the Lord,
      "You promised me Lord,
         that if I followed you,
             you would walk with me always.
                   But I have noticed that during
                          the most trying periods of my life
                                 there have only been one
                                       set of footprints in the sand.
                                           Why, when I needed you most,
                                          you have not been there for me?"
                                 The Lord replied,
                          "The times when you have
                  seen only one set of footprints,
          is when I carried you."
                                                   Mary Stevenson
  Copyright © 1984 Mary Stevenson, from original 1936 text, All rights reserved

As a Christian - and I don't say that lightly - as someone who believes Jesus was not just a teacher, but that He indeed was, is, and ever will be, the Son of God, that He was the last, ultimate blood sacrifice for my sins - and yours if you believe in Him - and that after His crucifixion, He defeated death for all eternity, walked on earth, was seen by and talked with hundreds before ascending into Heaven to sit at the right hand of God ... As a Christian, I KNOW that God has carried me through many trials - and continues to do so every day.  There is eternal hope in His plan of salvation.  In times of trouble I have a peace that surpasses understanding, peace that comes from knowing that God is the one in control (because sometimes I'M certainly not in control of the circumstances that are assailing me!) 

So, if your Christmas is full of heartache this year, please, CHOOSE to know, to believe that God cares, that God loves you and all of those around you.  Seek out a congregation of people who know the Hope of Jesus Christ, (not every church does!) open your heart to Him and them (though you might not bare your soul to the people - only Christ, or maybe the pastor) open your heart and let Christ touch your soul.  Let the healing begin.

God sent His only son to you, for you.  Celebrate His birth, His free Christmas gift to you.

Remember the Frosted Flakes and calculator.  If you open your heart to others, ten hearts will open to you.  That's as good a place as any to begin healing!





































No comments: