Monday, November 14, 2011

A Magic Lantern and Quaker Hats

From horse-drawn wagons to "modern" technology.  A Magic Lantern was a sign of enormous prosperity for a family.



Again I'm researching something for you on the world wide web and, surprise, surprise, I discover that, not only is there a whole museum dedicate to Magic Lanterns, but that it is located in ... Texas!  (San Antonio to be exact.)  The Magic Lantern is known as "the father of motion pictures and the grandfather of television."

In our church/museum they have showcased a series of rooms from a former home in Greensboro with the actual furnishings from that home.  I believe these were from the home of a furniture store owner so the furniture was exquisite.  The seating, however, was so SHORT.  But I guess people were smaller back then.  Really, they were.  No vitamins I'd guess.

I always like when a museum tells you the going price for items "back then."  For instance, to buy this handmade Quaker-style hat in the 1840's, hunters could trade 100 rabbit hides. 



Not so big a deal.  I remember one Christmas when we visited our grandparents.  The first night there us kids shot 53 cottontail rabbits - and this was like 1962!  (That's nineteen-sixty-two, not eighteen-sixty-two.)  We thought that was really neat - until Momma told us we couldn't come in out of the snow (yes, it snows in Texas - especially in the panhandle) until we had skinned and cleaned every one of them!  I was SO glad I was the baby of the family because after awhile Momma took pity on me and let me come in.  Rightly so!  They wouldn't let me hold a knife, so I was no help to them anyway!  (A gun I could hold, but not a knife.  Go figure.)  There was snow on the ground, and all I could do was stand there and shiver!


Just an aside:  Momma always said, if you shoot it, you eat it.  That was to keep my brothers from shooting everything that moved.  She meant it, too.  My brother once shot a huge turtle.  Momma made him clean it, and we ate turtle soup for what seemed an eternity.  I don't believe my brother ever shot another turtle - leastwise not one he told HER about.

No comments: