Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The French Connection

A most lovely couple from France rounds out our guest list for this weekend.  They are a delight from the moment we say hello!  I show them around, give them the key to the Granville Room (Granville being the name of the county that Oxford is in) and, at their request, recommend a local restaurant for their evening meal.

When they return, full of smiles and joy, they present us with their half empty bottle of wine!  There's nothing to do but graciously accept it as they tell the story of why.  Seems they ordered white wine as they were seated at George's.  After perusing the menu, he decided on beef - which requires a red wine.  He asked for red wine, and they brought a bottle rather than a glass!  So, they had half of the wine with the meal, and decided to share the remainder with us.   (Imagine, the French in America drinking Australian wine and sharing it with Texans in North Carolina!) Kindness from half-way 'round the world.  I like!









In the morning, while I'm preparing breakfast, they sit on the front porch enjoying the squirrels and birds and beautiful weather.  I ask if they'd like their picture taken for memories sake, and they choose to include the historic plaque in the photo.  It says, "Dr. C. White House - 1886."





Our other guests come down to join them for breakfast.  Everything is going fine - except the quiche refuses to brown on top.  Half-hour the recipe says, and at 45 minutes I go into the dining room to make my apologies.  They seem to be having a fine time visiting with each other and eating the mixed fruit and Greek yogurt I had put out.  At one hour there is just the hint of browning.  I surrender and serve - with profound apologies!


I suggest changing the name of the quiche to Obstinate Quiche! which made them all laugh and helped to cover my embarrassment.  Kind, kind people; generous spirits!  It was then that I decided to tell them that, the fact of the matter is, I'm just a guest here at the Bed & Breakfast and am simply trying to fill in as the innkeeper - that I had never done anything like this my entire life!

As the couple from France are leaving, they are delighted with the back-story of their stay.  She says that she can "dine out" on it for quite some time.  HE says that they have never had slow-cooked quiche before, but they thought it was delightful!  (I have to admit, there was not a crumb left on any of their plates!)







No comments: