Friday, July 11, 2014

My New Profession: Innkeeper!



John is at work, so I'm alone to check out of the hotel and into this lovely B&B, and, as soon as I sign the two-month agreement . . . the innkeeper checks out!!  No.  Really?  But, what about the guests that are expected?

The owners down in Florida helping with the birth of a new grandbaby have no clue what to do.  "Okay," says I, "I'm trained in disaster relief, and I can do breakfast."  Little did I know what THAT entails.  We're not talkin' sausage/egg/biscuits here.  No, we're talkin' stuffed French toast, and quiche, and fresh fruit and Greek yogurt - served on delicate china, in sparkling crystal and complete with silver tea set!  Oh, my!  What have I gotten myself into - again!!  Will I NEVER learn?  (I certainly hope not because life is way too full of fun and surprises to limit myself to dull and boring!)

I suppose lounging on the wide and wonderful veranda will simply have to wait.  I have four bedrooms upstairs that need to be perused, bathrooms to inspect, and - most importantly - groceries to buy!

Bedroom #1 - The Oxford Room - Who doesn't want to sleep in a big brass bed??  The only room with a bathtub (the rest having showers), and it's an antique footed tub with a rainshower showerhead.











Bedroom #2 - The Patriot

Decked out in red, white and blue.  All crisp and clean, American flag handmade quilt on the bed. Wonderful, firm, pillow-top Temperpedic mattress. What I would consider a perfect room for our dear George Washington himself!








Bedroom #3 - The Carolina Lilly

Room with a view.  Queen-size canopy bed. Sumptuous mattress. Nice fireplace. Perfect honeymoon or anniversary suite!  Large bathroom with double shower-heads!  (That's enough to make one blush!)





Bedroom #4 - The Granville

Love the colors.  Room with a view.  King-size bed. Another wonderful mattress!   Largest room of all. Fireplace.  The buffet with Keurig coffemaker, coffee and tea pods, mugs, pre-packaged snacks, and hidden refrigerator full of ice cold sodas and water (no extra charge!) is just outside the door...



Well, all seems in order here.  Back downstairs now.  The silver tea service needs to be polished if I'm going to show it off properly.  The dining table should be set at all times (if you ask me) in order to show the room at its best.  (You know, one only gets a single chance to make a good first impression!) So, into the the kitchen I go.

My goodness!  Black marble top counters, smooth top stove and oven with a warming drawer!  The cabinets - I think they are ten feet tall!  How will I ever reach those top shelves! The cabinets are filled with a caterer's dream collection of dishes and serving pieces.  Being a great hostess should be a breeze here -- if only I knew where everything was!  For days I feel like a child playing that game of Concentration where you spread out the deck, turn over two cards hoping they match, and then try to remember where all of the cards were so that you can make things match!  Round and round and round I go ... at home I could have accomplished things in minutes instead of what seems like hours!  Not complaining, mind you, just 'splainin' reality.

Since the innkeeper left, we get to take over her downstairs quarters - which are just as nice as the upstairs!


I cart all of our belongings up the steps of the deck at the rear of the house and into our quarters. About the time I have everything unpacked and put away, it's time to go get Granpa from his first day at the hospital.  Whew!




No comments: