Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Tin Man

One of the last things we have to show you seems amazingly modern.  Think advertising.  If you have a business, you want to bring folks into your store, yes?  You put up a big sign, maybe with your name on it, maybe a "barber pole" if you're a hairdresser, maybe a wooden Indian holding a bunch of cigars if you're a tobacco shop.  Well, in old Salem there was a man who manufactured things, a metalsmith.  He decided he'd do a bit of advertising:


What amazes me is the magnitude of raw material this guy used to make his "sign."  This coffee pot is ten feet tall!  It's so big you could use it as a water tower and provide the whole town with a water supply!  I wonder if he knew it would still be around 200 years later ??

So, when we got home from this trip MY coffeepot (well, tea kettle, really, because John and I don't drink coffee - neither of us ever has...) my teapot quit working.  Had I known that was going to happen I would have bought a new one in Salem!  But alas, I had to just shop for one here in Danville.  For years I have simply used a Mr. Coffee and only run water through it.  Lately, however, more and more folks have started drinking tea and now there are choices.  I had seen one for about $30 dollars I liked, but I didn't like the $30 tag.  (Come on, guys!  All I want to do is boil water, for heaven's sake!)  My darling John spotted just the thing:

You fill 'er up with water, set her on the base, turn her on, and in a very few minutes - boiling hot water!  She shuts herself off, too!  So simple!  And the price tag?  Only $12.  My kinda deal.  Anything we need boiling water for (jello, hot chocolate, a cup of hot tea or to brew tea in a pitcher for John's favorite beverage, sweet iced tea) now we just use this magnificent creature.  I love it!  And it's so much easier to clean than a drip coffeemaker.  Bonus on top of bonus.  You can't beat that!

No comments: