Saturday, December 21, 2013

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety-Jig!

Twas a long drive - 20 hours in two days - but it was excellent.  We had a fabulous sunrise the first day. We were already on the road so I couldn't take a panorama photo.   Just make these two photos touch in the middle and you have an idea what it looked like - so mauvey on the left and so golden on the right.  Sunlight and atmosphere make for some pretty amazing combinations, huh?

I texted Granpa's mother every step of the way so that she could follow us on her road atlas.  She really likes that.  Says it makes it feel like she's on the trip with us, but she's at home in total comfort.

We listened to Christmas music a lot, had a Michael Crichton book on CD, "Next," and enjoyed each other and the drive immensely.  I took my first "selfie," and no, I'm not quite that fat.  My arms aren't long enough and I was trying to get "Marty" into the picture, so I had to tuck my chin in.  Marty is now my pet donkey.  I got him at the Grand Canyon because he reminds me of our donkey back home, and then I discovered that, if I put him between me and the seat belt he would keep the strap off of my neck.  So now he's a permanent fixture on our travels.  He was also keeping me warm!

By nightfall we were in Texas!  Wahoo!

We woke up in Amarillo to about 20 degrees and a howling wind, heavy overcast, but no precipitation.  It stayed cold until just about Dallas and we crossed the line of the cold front.  By the time we got to East Texas it was almost 70 and the humidity was so thick you could cut it right down the middle with a butter knife.  You could almost hear my Arizona-dry skin just sucking it up!  Yea!

Granpa had to stop at the Russell Stover Candy Outlet just outside of Terrell, Texas.  I tried to talk him out of it, but he was determined.  By the time we got to the cash register he was wishing he had listened to me.  Ol' Santa had bought so much stuff he qualified for a free Teddy Bear and a free box of Millionaires!

We got home by 4:30, but by the time Santa unloaded the van it was too dark to take pictures of the house.  Granpa has promised me new photos, but for now you'll just have to look at an old one.

Now to wrap up Christmas - literally!




If you like our blog, you can buy the book forms on Amazon under the “Heritage Travels” titles. 
You can also "subscribe" for free by clicking on the broadcast icon at the top right corner or by bringing out the right hand toolbar and clicking on that icon at the bottom of the list.  It will put that icon on your toolbar at the top of your browser screen.  I try to post every day - it'd be a shame for you to miss one!
 On your iPhone, you can create an app by "adding to home screen," bookmark it, or add it to your Reading List, share it on Twitter or Facebook.  Any way you do it, it's free!
 



No comments: