Saturday, June 8, 2013

Granpa? Again?

So Granpa decides he wants to run to town and find a carrying case for his new tablet.  Cool.  We dash between raindrops and hit a few stores.  (He's a shopper you know.)  Somehow we end up at an AT&T store.

There we find a very aggressive, but kind, sales person.  Faster than our feeble minds can comprehend he sweetens the pot on upgrading not only Granpa's iPhone, but he also tells us to ship back the Lenovo and buy one of the tablets he's offering. 

Ratchet down the sales talk, lil' feller.  One thing at a time.  Let's talk phones.  The only reason I would encourage Granpa to give up his iPhone is if he ends up with a larger screen and better photos.  Granpa does NOT do change well.  And let's not forget that he just got his antique laptop upgraded to a fancy new tablet by his loverly sons...

"Okay," says Jake-the-salesman, (but he's visibly twitching.  Just what I need - to be trapped between two twitchers, shopping.  I hate shopping!)  "A new iPhone isn't gonna get you much in the way of a larger screen or better photos," says he.  "We can, however," says Jake-the-salesman, "upgrade you to a Samsung that I think you'll like." 

Oooo.  Changing to a Samsung will mean changing operating systems from Apple to Android.  That means changing everything visible to Granpa's eye-brain.  BUT WAIT !  Granpa's new Lenovo tablet has an Android operating system, so he's already got to do the change!

Now comes the big question.  How much is this Samsung thingamajig gonna cost?

"Well, let's see," says he, "are you trading in the old iPhone?"

Granpa pulls back noticeably.  "Wait a minute," Granpa says as he looks at me, "I have to give up my old phone???"

"Um, it's not gonna do you any good," says I, "when they pull the sim card and activate the number on a different device."   Granpa begins to inch toward the door.  "I've had that phone since our last contract in Virginia.  What about the pictures on my phone?"

Jake-the-salesman frowns.  "I can transfer your contacts, but not your photos - unless there's just a few."  Well, is 427 considered a few?  "Ah, no."

Granpa says, "Let's go."

I'm quick:  "Okay.  Good idea.  Let's go home, download the photos to your new tablet, and then everything's good."

Granpa says, "Let's go."

I give Jake-the-salesperson an encouraging look, he gives me his business card, and off we go. 

After we get home and get a hot lunch into Granpa, I pick up my purse and head for the car.  He follows me out the door.  Yes!  We're makin' progress here!

Back to my original question:  "How much is this gonna cost?"

Jake says, holding his breath, "With the trade in... (pregnant pause) (Granpa doesn't say anything and doesn't inch toward the door) "with the trade in we'll give you a $100 credit, and with a renewal of the contract, it will cost you $5.00."

We've had an AT&T contract for over twelve years, so there's no problem with extending the contract, and even Granpa can't argue with $5.00.

Granpa pulls out his old phone and (somewhat reluctantly) hands it over to Jake.  The deal is done.


* * * * * * * *

 
So we've been home several hours now.  He's switching from the new tablet to the new phone and back to the tablet.  Twice widowed, I am.  Good thing I'm only jealous of two legged creatures and not multi-app'ed devices!




No comments: