Sunday, February 3, 2013

Does Your Bible Look Like this?

Where is your Bible?  Did you know that there are some Christian religions that basically say, "Let the priest interpret this for you."  They, then, never open the Bible for themselves.

Others open their Bible, study it during services, and put it up until the next service.  They take extensive notes in a notebook or in some other way.

Still others never take notes at all.  They must have a MUCH better memory than I do!!

This is my Bible:


Some folks are horrified, absolutely horrified! that I would write in the Bible!  The Bible is just a book in my opinion.  The words are what is sacred.  I tried taking notes somewhere else, but they never seem to be where I need them when I want to reference them.  Sometimes, if we're hearing from a new preacher, I write his name next to the text he's preaching on.  It's always fun to run across it several years later.

But mostly it's clarification to what is in the text.  Or the Greek word something was translated from, which is immensely helpful in understanding the writer's intended meaning.


Simple, but very important things like Jews were not Baptized because they were "born" into the family of God, are learned and noted.  Baptism was only intended for non-Jews.  This morning the discussion was on the Greek word "Koinonia."  We usually think of it as fellowship, but see that list of verses I penned in on the right?  Those are all scriptures where the word "Koinonia" has been translated into lots more than fellowship.  Ultimately, Pastor Ray Russell here in Grand Forks, North Dakota said that Christianity isn't about the individual; it is about the body of Christ.  It's not about being the Lone Ranger. (I wonder if he knew that was a Texas reference, since he's from Canada?)  It's about the corporate body of Christ loving each other, caring for each other, sharing with one another, lifting each other up, because we are all a part of one.  If we don't come together for "Koinonia" the "body" will fall apart.  Also, isolation prevents growth, healthy growth.

Well, those notes will remind me, and they will help me share what I learned - maybe years from now.  Maybe my kids and grandkids will pull my Bible out at my funeral and begin to understand me better, be drawn closer to the Lord because of these notes.  Without those notes, preachers sometimes might as well be throwing their words to the wind.  Today's words were penned in ink - for the ages.

When I run out of room in this Bible, I will buy another and start all over.  So, what does your Bible look like?

1 comment:

Michael L. Harvey said...

Long ago, our family minister said that books, including the Bible, had to have margins, where else could a person write notes. The front pages, before Genesis, were reserved for family names and important dates. Birth, baptism, marriage and death with the occasional move to a new country or new state thrown in.