Saturday, May 16, 2015

Fly Away, Money! Fly Away!

The wind has been blowing here - really hard - for a couple of days.  This morning I needed to buy a bag of ice from Wal-Mart, and I decided I'd get some cash, too.

I was rushing myself so as to get home before the ice melted too much.  It's no fun having a bunch of ice cubes frozen together into a block of ice.  I took my receipt and my cash and folded it into my billford, but didn't zip the billford shut.  Major mistake.  When you're in a hurry, slow down.

When I reached the car, I was juggling with the bag of ice trying to reach the keyfob and open the door.  In the process, I dropped my billfold.  It popped open, and my cash went flying.

I began trying to step on the closest bill and simultaneously tried to keep an eye on the other bills flying across the parking lot.

Suddenly everyone was chasing my money.  I don't for an instant believe they said anything out loud, but I could certainly imagine them shouting, "Fat lady running!  Fat lady chasing money!"

One by one the bills were captured by other people, many of them laughing and enjoying the chase, but all of them returning the money to me.

At last there was only one $20 bill taking flight in the wind.  Two men were doing their best to chase it down, stomping here, missing, running there - with me right behind them.  Just before we were all about to dash into a four-lane street full of heavy traffic, the lead man captured it.

Those two precious men were smiling and seemingly delighted to be of help.  The people of Kingman are good and gracious.

I was embarrassed, out of breath, and humble by everyone's kindness.  The receipts I had in the billfold were still in the wind, but my money was back.  The ice?  Well, who cares!


No comments: