Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Diaz Lake, California

We have left Bishop behind and are trying to decide whether to get back to Kingman through Death Valley again (because it was so beautiful one way I wonder what we missed coming from the other direction!)  While we're hemming and hawing, we come upon a beautiful little lake and state park. Granpa decides he wants to stop for a potty break.

I, of course, have to read every sign ever created, and I discover that Diaz Lake was created by an earthquake back on March 26, 1872.  That quake caused this area to drop twenty feet! in elevation and it opened up a spring which filled that lowland.  The folks ranching the land very much appreciated that event I can tell ya' for sure!  And we very much appreciate it almost 150 years later because it is truly a sight to behold.


See?  Earthquakes aren't all bad - but I would personally just as soon avoid 'em!



No comments: