Wednesday, November 28, 2012

That's Granma: School Bus Driver!

New Chapel Hill Independent School District
GO DAWGS!!
(That's Texan for "dogs")


It all started for me a few years back when one of the local school districts was on the evening news saying that they didn't have enough school bus drivers and, therefore, the drivers they DID have were having to do double routes.  They would drive their regular routes, go back to the bus pen, get on a different bus, and run that route, too.  Students were getting home sometimes a couple of hours later than their regular time.  Always the helpful one, I said to myself, I can drive a bus...

 I drive long buses and short buses...







old buses and new buses.








Actually, I'm kind of carrying on an old family tradition.  John's father drove a school bus, and John put himself through college driving a school bus.  I think it's a fun thing to do - and a helpful thing to do.  So, between John's traveler contracts, I work as a substitute bus driver which means I drive every day, but I don't have one particular route.  I drive all of the buses on all of the routes.  Angie just tells me what time and what bus, and I'm good to go.

 Sometimes there are three students to a seat - maybe 80 students?

Or a Special Needs bus may only have four students.
I drive ALLLLLLLLL the buses !!

And here in Grand Forks, North Dakota, we went to the theater to see "Lincoln," and what to my wondering eyes appears?  An add in the previews for school bus drivers!  I guess they are in need all across the nation!  But, alas, I don't have a North Dakota license, and we only have one car so someone would have to walk to work - in -40 degree weather?  I don't think so...




No comments: