Friday, March 20, 2015

Sequoias!


There is no photograph that will ever show the height of these trees, that will ever represent the magnificence of the grove.




There is no question that this land should have been set aside for posterity.  If commercial logging companies had their way, they would have chopped down all of these beauties.  If the land developers and restaurateurs had their way, they would have tourist traps beside every inch of this place.




A few of the greatest of these survivors from initial encounters with the white man (native Americans never harmed the giants) have been given the names of great men.  Or they used to have those names.




When we were here a few years ago, (well, 2004, so I guess that was 10 years ago), one of the largest Sequoia trees here was named the General Grant, after Civil War Union General Ulysses S Grant who later became President of these United States.



On this day, however, in 2015, I notice that all reference to President Grant has been removed from the interpretive signs.  The tree is now known only as "Grant."  It is so sad how the leadership in America is slowly but surely erasing our history.  Why would the National Park do that?  President Coolidge in 1926 honored a giant tree by giving it a giant name.  It shouldn't be because America has a black President, because Grant was a Union General, fighting for, among other things, freedom from slavery for the black man.  I just don't know...  but I do know that I'm troubled by this tiny piece of evidence... (Evidence of what?  I don't know.)  I suppose they thought that no one would notice - or care, but I noticed, and I do care.

I shake off the troublesome feelings and try to enjoy our trip.  The snow is coming down in dry pellets, so I take shelter in a fallen tree.


And look!  We can walk all the way through to the other path!  (Love the snow pellets caught in the pic, too!)  Notice the icicles beginning to form from the top, right at the first support pole.


I am beginning to feel better.  Golly gracious it's cold!


These trees are as long lookin' laying on the ground as they are standing up!



Wow!  Those ice pellets are getting pretty thick and heavy!  We gotta go!


The fun begins - because we have not decided where we're going from here ... woohoo!!

No comments: