Monday, December 24, 2012

The Best Gift-Giving

As I try to remember Christmas (and birthdays) past, it occurs to me that I don't remember the gifts - I remember the people.  As I've already said, I'm not a good gift giver - unless you count the fact that I try to be an encourager.  (Sometimes, when I'm being a mother, I have to be a corrector, but I think most of the time I'm an encourager 10 times for every one as a corrector.)

But back to gift-giving...

If it's a loved one you're trying to give to, truly, all they want is you.  I remember smiles, and relatives trying to get along with each other, and smells, yummy food we would only get on special occasions... I remember conversations and incidents (like my oldest brother reaching across in front of a cousin for food, and the cousin bit his arm!  That's where I learned what a boarder-house reach was - and that it was bad manners, not good practice.)  I remember people and places (like my 40th birthday party Momma arranged at the lake - and the flatbed train cars that we had to stop for carrying Army tanks toward the Gulf War.)  I remember what I think was my last Christmas as a child with my father - he gave lots of gifts, but I didn't see or hear from him again for years.

Isn't a gift supposed to reflect our love for the receiver?  Seriously, do you really think the receiver wants us to stress out over what to give?  If there truly is love, what else is there to give?  What greater gift can there be?  Share YOURSELF!  Share your smile, be an encourager, share a hug or a touch.  And do it all year long, not just during the holidays.  Give of yourself, not your pocketbook.

Give! And it shall be given back, shaken down and overflowing - like Frosted Flakes!  (see last year's Christmas post :-))

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !!

No comments: